Flood insurance covers flood damage from inclement weather like hurricanes and tropical storms, but there are other instances in which having flood insurance can benefit you. These are a few of the water damage instances that may be covered by flood insurance.
- Storm surges: A storm surge occurs from a rise in sea level, usually after a hurricane or tropical cyclone. Strong winds push the water onto the shore, which causes extreme flooding. There is no way to prevent a storm surge from occurring, and they can reach far and wide, depending on the strength of the storm.
- Overflowing rivers: Overflowing rivers occur as a result of heavy rains or storms that cause the water level to rise. The effects of an overflowing river can be devastating, and the water can go well beyond designated flood areas.
- Coastal floods: A coastal flood occurs close to the coast and usually floods that particular area. There is no way to stop a coastal flood, but the effects can be lessened through the use of barriers or sandbags.
- Overflowing sewers: Overflowing sewers usually occur when there is a heavy rain and the entire system is flooded. This causes drainage problems, which transfers into sewage-filled areas. An overflowing sewer can also occur when the sewage system is having difficulties in proper pumping.
- Heavy rains: Heavy rains can cause extreme damage, including flooding sewers, rivers and damaging standing structures. Many homes and roofs are damaged by heavy rains, flooding the interiors of homes.
- Overflowing swimming pools: An overflowing swimming pool can be the result of a storm surge, overflowing river or heavy rains resulting from storms. Damage caused by overflowing swimming pools can be significant, to the point where a home becomes uninhabitable.
Working with a knowledgeable agent who will assess your property and give you enough information to make the right decision is key. There are a number of scenarios that will determine your premium, so working with an agent to find a policy that meets your budget and your needs is a priority.
Still have questions? Call Salzberg Insurance Agency at 757-583-1828 for more information on Norfolk flood insurance.