Mold is a dangerous substance that can make anyone in a home ill. Keeping a home mold-free isn’t always easy. Mold tends to grow in areas that are wet or at least moist, and warm. This could be any room of your home.
Knowing the possible signs of mold growth and taking steps to prevent it can help you to keep your family safe. In some cases, home insurance will cover the costs of mold treatment. This isn’t always the case, though. That’s another reason to take steps to keep your home protected.
Early Prevention and Care
If you isolate mold early enough, it is possible to remove it easily. You can remove mold through proper cleaning of the surface with bleach and water. If you find a small amount of mold, do the following:
- Use bleach and water to clean the surface.
- Ensure the area dries out.
- If a surface is porous, such as drywall or clothing, toss it out and replace it.
- Use a dehumidifier to remove moisture from the space.
- Find and repair the cause of the mold growth. A cause might be a leak or lack or ventilation.
If the mold expanded to more than one area, call a mold removal team. This professional service is the only safe way to effectively remove mold from the home.
Prevention Is Always Best
Most standard home insurance plans do not cover mold care and removal. This makes prevention essential. These tips can help you to prevent mold from occurring:
· Keep humidity levels low in the home. Install exhaust fans in the bathroom and in the kitchen. Aim for humidity between 30 and 60 percent using your air conditioner or dehumidifier.
· Keep wet areas, such as bathrooms, clean. Use bleach products to cleanse all surfaces properly.
· Use mold inhibiting paint when painting surfaces of your home.
· Ensure all appliances are water and moisture-tight. This includes the washing machine, dishwashers, hot water tank, any faucet, toilets and sinks.
· Keep the roof watertight. Inspect attics for areas of water damage and treat them right away.
It is also advisable to have a mold inspection every few years. Since home insurance does not cover this type of loss in a standard policy, you do not want to have to face extensive mold growth. Don’t ignore mold, either.
Be sure to take steps to treat any mold as soon as you notice it. If you want to find mold coverage for your home insurance, give Salzberg Insurance a call at (877) 757-6081. We can help you find the right policy.